rain

Sugar Honey Iced Tea

Coffee drinker. Fictional boyfriend collector. Smut lover. In-the-closet brainiac. Obsessive. Snarcastic. Basically.

Let's Hear it for the Boy
T.A. Webb
After Hours
Cara McKenna

The Siren (The Original Sinners, #1)

The Siren  - Tiffany Reisz “Are you mad at me?” she asked in a small voice.“I want to be. I oughta be.” He shook his head. “No, I’m not mad at you. Just myself.”She nodded and met his eyes. “Are you sad at me?”He released a cold, empty laugh. “Yeah, I’m sad at you.”She could tell he was trying not to cry. She tried, too.One word: whirlpool.Two emotions: awed and disturbed.If I had to add something to it, I'd say I felt immense grief by the end of this book. Not because it ends, but how. It's funny... Give me a bad book, and I'll make you laugh - no doubt about it. When it comes to (this) good one, words just seem to fail me altogether.“In the words of Charlotte Brontë,” J.P. began, “‘Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation.’”The Siren exceeded my expectations. Both in a very good and a very, very bad way. I don't mind reading BDSM stories. But, this is not a BDSM story. It's much more than that. Ms. Reisz will wrap you up in a cocoon, the minute you start reading, and won't let you out until you're done. Even then... this story will stay with you. Haunt you. Keep you wondering. Questioning.Once it starts unraveling, it's like someone hit you and left you lying breathless. The jump from playful to painful is so sharp, you cannot be prepared. And, from that point on, it only gets worse.“Hurt but do not harm?” Zach asked. “What’s the difference?”“Hurt is a bruise on the outside.” Nora sipped her mineral water delicately. “Harm is a bruise on the inside.”Once you finish reading, you can't help but wonder - are they only hurt at some point? Or harmed as well? All four of them.I wish I could tell you that I really disliked someone, without even a hint of sympathy. Søren mostly. But, there were moments when I truly tried to understand even him. And I've managed to, for a while at least. He's like a shadow that looms over everyone and anyone close to Nora. His posture and control give me creeps. The contradiction that defines him was one great shock. But still...Zach, the uptight editor, is carrying his burden so obviously and so deeply, it's a wonder he ended up being the only one with a happy end. Did he deserve it? I think he did. I hope he'll learn. It was sometimes frustrating watching him cope with the chaos around him. He was a misplaced soul for long enough.And, Nora... such a beautiful, tragic, complicated, both powerful and powerless creature, that is so utterly torn apart it's painful to watch. Did she deserve a happy ending? In some form at least. And, if yes, what would that happy ending be? Who with? Is she where she's suppose to be? I don't think so. I hope not. But maybe..."She smiled, knowing that even more than the bath, just having Wesley so close to her made her feel clean and sane again. When Søren touched her she became his. When Wesley touched her, she became herself."Wesley. My favorite. He's beyond wise. Beyond his age. Beyond almost anything. My heart was breaking for him. Is it true? That line about only two reasons why you leave someone you're in love with? Should we, again, consider all the differences between being in love and loving someone?Is it just a coincidence that Søren is fourteen years older than Nora, and Nora is fourteen years older than Wes? Or was there a reason for it? Their relationships couldn't be more unlike, and still, there's that subtle line that seems to connect them in some weird way. Does that mean...?So many questions... "I hope you are happy. As for me, I... continue. If you ever miss me, miss… But some things are best left unwritten. Just know I have kept your room for you. I’ll say no more. I know I sent you away. I know it was the right thing to do. But I also know that perhaps not every story has to end."Oh, I hope so. Truly hope so. Can't wait to see what The Angel will bring to Wes and Nora.p.s. You should consider reading a prequel to The Siren - Little Red Riding Crop before you read this. And, you should definitely read Nightswimming after you read this.And, here's the song that kept haunting me while I was reading. If you've read this book already, you know who it's about.