rain

Sugar Honey Iced Tea

Coffee drinker. Fictional boyfriend collector. Smut lover. In-the-closet brainiac. Obsessive. Snarcastic. Basically.

Let's Hear it for the Boy
T.A. Webb
After Hours
Cara McKenna

Defying the Odds (Battered Hearts)

Defying the Odds - Kele Moon If choking and gagging over a piece of pie could help you find true love, would you do it? Melody Dylan is a waitress. She ended up working in a diner in Garnet, after she'd run away from her abusive ex-husband, who's still after her. Although broken from the past, she's still sweet and caring soul, so when she sees a guy eating alone on Thanksgiving, she decides to buy him a piece of pie. Pumpkin pie.The guy turns out to be Clay "Powerhouse" Powers - UFC heavyweight champion. Yes, UFC as in Ultimate Fighting Championship. And, Clay hates pumpkin pie. Not that he'd admit it, so he decides to choke and gag, but eat it no matter what.“I wanted to say thank you,” he said, trying very hard to put emotion in his usually gruff voice. “No one’s ever done this for me.”“Bought you a piece of pie?”“No.” He felt his cheeks heat, and he looked to the pie in an effort to hide. “Nobody’s just nice to me, for free, without, you know, expecting something for it.”Clay is rough, tough, intimidating and seriously lacking in social skills. He loves the sport, but hates groupies and all the media circus that surrounds him. It's easier to ignore it all. He's a loner. Except for Wyatt - the Sheriff - and his sister Jules, who are his best friends and kind of adopted family, he pretty much doesn't have anyone else. Which was fine with him... until he met Melody.What is it with those tough and rough guys going sweet, that makes you melt into a puddle? Clay is six-five, all muscle, and watching him semi-stalking Melody, coming to diner on her shifts, doing everything he can to be as close as possible... it's so sweet. He wants to woo her, but has no idea how to do it. He wants to make it special between them, but the only way is just to go with it, and hope they'll figure it all out when that time comes.They are just so different, and both broken and vulnerable in their own ways. The couple that would least likely have any chance of getting together. And, still...“How’d this happen?” Melody asked in a stunned whisper. She never expected to fall in love and certainly not this swiftly or with this much finality. “We just met.”“I don’t believe that,” Clay argued as he turned her palm over in his and traced the lines of it with the pad of his finger. “I’m pretty sure we’ve known each other forever. Seeing you the first time was like coming home, and there ain’t been anything to happen since that’s disabused me of the notion.”This is such a sweet story. It's a quick read, but it leaves you feeling all nice and fluffy. Two broken souls finding each other, doing everything they can to mend all the wounds from the past, and - let me tell you - all that hot, soul-baring sex is nothing to sneeze at, either.Clay is a wonderful guy, but I loved Melody for not letting her past stop her from giving him/them a chance, and for trusting and loving so completely and openly. They are so great together. Perfect for each other.Next story in this series is about Jules and her Romeo. Can't wait to read how different their third act will be.p.s. The rest of the quotes is (as ever) in the spoiler section. Enjoy!“Mel.”“Hmm?”“Don’t leave me again, okay?” Clay whispered in a voice choked with emotion as he pulled her tighter against him and tilted his head to rest his cheek on top of her head. “’Cause that ’bout killed me.”“Go ahead.” Clay’s voice turned low and gravelly with sex. “Use it; fuck it. It belongs to you; own it.”Melody’s gaze became molten, the pink sheen of morning painting itself over her flushed skin. She licked her lips, looking awed. “Is that true?”“Yes,” he assured her without hesitation. “I thought I was broken too, that I’d never trust women, but I had it all wrong. I wasn’t broken at all. I was just waiting for you. It’s always been yours; even before we met, it belonged to you.”“That was nice,” Melody finally whispered into the glow of early morning filtering in past the open windows.“Yeah,” he agreed, already half asleep to hide from the headache. “Thank you.”Melody stroked his hair in response, lulling him to sleep as effortlessly as she’d pulled him to passion. She gave so willing of herself. Everything she had to offer was his for the taking, and it didn’t feel like a robbery. Everything he had to give was hers too. Clay could lie here, and he didn’t have to say anything.She already knew.Melody was starting to wish she’d gone to the Clay Powers’s school of social graces. There was a wicked side of her that wanted to know what it was like to slam a door in people’s faces, with a clipped Time to fuck off.“Do you really believe in soul mates?”“I do now.”“On a scale of one to ten—one being a normal human reaction and ten being the stupidest fucking thing you could possibly do—jumping at a guy who’s got a gun and a vendetta against you for doing his ex-wife has gotta be a twenty-nine.”“This really happened, didn’t it?” Wyatt asked, shaking his head as he watched Melody eat off Clay’s plate. “You two are gonna end up getting married and having a buncha babies and living happily ever after. I could puke.”